Even the most thorough cleaning programs won’t always stop mold from appearing in the bathroom. It may be the result of a poor ventilation system or simply a really damp bathroom, but tackling mold in the shower is a common problem for many homeowners and property managers.
When left unchecked, mold can lead to health issues such as asthma, allergies and other respiratory issues. Here are 5 easy tips for removing – and then preventing – mold in your bathroom.
- Skip the bleach. It seems counter-intuitive, but using bleach to clean mold spots is no longer considered to be effective — in fact the EPA states that “the use of chlorine bleach is not recommended as a routine practice for mold clean up.” Why? The simple answer is that mold has roots that get down into any porous materials and the bleach doesn’t penetrate deep enough to kill the mold spores.
- Instead, go green. While bleach is out, there’s still an inexpensive — and natural — solution. Vinegar. Straight vinegar kills the majority of mold spores found in bathrooms. To clean moldy areas, use white distilled vinegar and pour the non-diluted vinegar into a spray bottle. Spray the vinegar onto the moldy surface and leave it to sit for an hour. Finally, wipe the area clean with water and allow the surface to dry.
- Now choose easy to clean surfaces. If a bathroom is at higher risk of mold due to poor ventilation or a higher moisture level, make sure to choose surfaces that are easy to keep clean (such as a Bestbath shower). Consider avoiding a lot of grout or other porous surfaces that are more prone to mold growth.
- Next, declutter the bathroom. This will make a bathroom easier — and faster — to clean, and the risk for mold growth is reduced. If there are bath mats or rugs, they should be washed or changed every 2-3 days.
- Finally, maintain ventilation systems. Having a clean and functional exhaust fan in the bathroom helps prevent mold and mildew by removing moisture from the air. Once the electricity to the fan is turned off, take apart the components and clean each thoroughly. Feel free to use more vinegar based cleaning solutions!
Mold in the bathroom can be hard to avoid, but cleaning it doesn’t have to be difficult, and getting it done quickly will be better for the home and the health of the tenant or homeowner.